Saturday, November 28, 2009

15. Jane Eyre

"'Who in the world cares for you...I care for you myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself...there I plant my foot'" (365).

Charlotte Bronte is a very strong woman who appears to believe whole-heartily in not relying on others to accomplish one's goal. She has a point in writing this within her novel, and it depicts Jane's situation perfectly. If one learns to stand on his own, respect is grown because one knows everything that was accomplished, was done by his own hand. There is a self respect which accumulates from the experience, but at the same time it leads to loneliness. Jane's character is, mentally, very stable and headstrong, but she tends to try too hard to make a name for herself. If people do not take a chance on other people, then lessons are not taught. Charlotte Bronte wrote some very important words within her quote which keep the reader thinking about their own life.

(No Outside Source.)

1 comment:

  1. Watch out for all of those "I"'s -- each one is a step away from objective analysis and a step toward reader response -- how can you get more assertive and more objective at the same time?

    ReplyDelete